The entire area of the Club and Wimbledon Park was originally laid out for one of the great houses of Wimbledon. The Wimbledon Club was founded on the current site in 1890 when Wimbledon Cricket Club (founded in 1854 on Wimbledon Common) joined with Wimbledon Hockey Club, Wimbledon Ladies Hockey Club and a new tennis section. The first squash court was added in the 1930s and Lakeside Squash Club was formed in 1973.
Wimbledon Park Golf Club surrounds the 9-acre site on three sides with the lake on the other. The facilities comprise a cricket pitch and practice nets, 2 grass hockey pitches, 8 grass tennis courts, 7 hard courts (4 floodlit), 5squash courts (4 glass-backed) and an indoor sports hall that is used for cricket practice and tennis. An artificial turf hockey pitch in Raynes Park is hired from Kings College School (KCS), another astro turf pitch is used at Raynes Park Highschool (RPH) The new Clubhouse, opened in April 1998, has a first floor bar and restaurant with balconies overlooking the hockey pitches, tennis courts and cricket. A new fitness suit opened in September 1998 and there are extensive changing rooms, showers, and a mixed sauna.
Twilight view from the balcony of the club overlooking the grass and artificial tennis courts
Applications for membership are made through the individual sections. There is a single Club membership, separate fees for each section, and an additional fee for use of the fitness suite. There is also a one-off joining fee, which is waived for those less than 25 years of age.
Member's guests are welcome at the Club. After paying a guest fee guests may play tennis or squash on a limited number of occasions as defined by the relevant section.
The overall management of the Club lies with the General Committee, a group of twelve members who are elected at the AGM or are nominated by their section committee. Each of the five sports sections has a committee responsible for running its own activities. Some social events are organised by the individual sections, and others are open to all Club members.